This plugin allows you to have your own on demand weather channel.
Downloading and Installing
Open gbpvr config click on the plugin and select configure.
This plugin is discussed in the Developers forum
Jeff, Reven, CodeMonkey (and others)
- Moved forecast text to icon mapping into weather.xml file in the main gbpvr directory. You can add as many weather types as you wish. What the plug-in does is map the text string description of the weather to an icon. Multiple strings can be mapped to the same icon. By default, for example the text strings "am clouds" and "pm clouds" both get mapped to the icon for "cloudy". If you wanted to you could create a new pmcloudy weather type with its own icon and map "pm clouds" to it instead.
- Added mapping for "sleet" forecast to an icon.
- Updated plug-in to pull down animated short-range doppler radar maps from weather.com (page format changed)
- Updated foreign translations of detailed forecast text to work with new google text translation page layout.
- Updated to work with release 0.98 of GBPVR
- Fixed bug that prevented the plug-in from downloading updated maps
- Weather plug-in can now be used as a video plug-in. To do so add it to your config.xml in the VideoPlugins section. By default when displayed in video mode a small two day forecast will show up on the bottom of the screen. The popup is skinable.
- Updated plug-in to download all animated maps available from msnbc.com. This should lead to better Doppler radar maps for those users outside of the US. For skinners, there is a new @FrameTime variable available in the map display that will show the time of the current frame snapshot, if available. See the blue skin for an example.
- Added support for a key mapping file to enable users without colored buttons on their remotes to remap the blue and yellow button keys (and all other keys).
- Added a way for users to specify that their area code should not be treated as a US zip code. This is only needed for cities outside of the US that happen to use a 5 digit code. If you have tried to add a European or Asian city and a US city shows up instead, press the “pause” key (control Q). The plug-in will now remember that this city is not a US city and download the correct information. If you make a mistake, pressing pause again will toggle the setting.
- If you are using SI units, the plug-in will use maps with SI units.
- Updated plug-in to download new map types provided by msnbc. Use the blue or yellow buttons on the maps screen to see what they are.
- Modified the Add screens to drill down by state/region if specified by msnbc. If you don’t know the target country very well and want to bypass the state level and jump straight to the city level, press GO (F11) from the country or state screen.
- Modified the plug-in to react in real time to skin file changes. This makes creating modified skins easier.
- Removed UV Index from default blue skin. This information is no longer being provided by msnbc.
- Added the weather panel to the distribution.
- Changed fonts used in default blue skin to better match those used by the core gbpvr plug-ins.
- Default blue skin now uses baseskin.xlm for button definitions and title text font. Note that this leads to ugly looking results in skins that define very wide default buttons, such as Sassari.
- If the current skin doesn’t have a task.png for the weather plug-in and a current forecast is available, the plug-in will use the forecast image as the task image.
- Posted .net 2.0 version; includes some bug fixes/log enhancements
- Updated commongbpvrutilities.dll to fix a backwards compatibility problem
- Added additional weather types to the mappings between text and icons
- Updated to work with latest MSNBC web page
- Now pull SI units directly from MSNBC for all area codes other than 5 digit US zip codes
- Note that this update uses a new version on the CommonGBPVRUtilities that should be backwards compatible with older versions, although it has only been lightly tested for this
- Added additional weather types to the mappings between text and icons
- Added an option (set in the configuration app) to specify a language translation for detailed forecasts. The translations are done using google's translation page, so the results may not be very good
- Fixed a few small bugs
- Update parsing code for change to MSNBC page layout.
- Update parsing code for new MSNBC page layout
- Added more weather string to weather image mappings
- Made downloading of maps other than the doppler radar maps optional (to save memory)
- Added config option to skip loading information on startup, in which case it will be downloaded the first time it is accessed (or the first time it is auto-updated for the video archive panel, if that config option is set).
- Fixed various bugs and made other small enhancements.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the list of areas to become messed up when items were removed from the list
- Made the code more resilient to web timeouts when downloading maps etc.
- Tried to handle cases that would cause "Object not found" errors
- Changed the way icons for the various weather conditions are stored within the plug-in to reduce memory usage
- Added more weather types to the list of known types
- Added support for a few more weather types (e.g., "mostly clear", which displays the same image as "clear")
- Added support for extended characters
- Area codes are no longer sorted. That is, they are stored in the same order as input.
- Fixed some bugs that would cause the forecast to not be read properly if MSNBC did not contain both forecasted Ho and Lo temperatures
- Updated the code to pull weather information from the main MSNBC web pages rather than the programmatic interface page. This gives the following additional information: Sunrise time, Sunset time, and Dewpoint.
- Now pull all the maps that can be found, which typically includes high and low temperature, rain charts, etc. The blue and yellow keys can be used to scroll back and forth between maps.
- Added a new detailed forecast button, which displays all the detail that can be found for upcoming days. The blue and yellow keys can be used to scroll back and forth between days
- When posting messages to the video archive panel, and image of the weather conditions is also displayed along with the text description
- Updated the code used to add new locations to handle the revised format of the MSNBC web pages
- Changed some of the units when displaying things in SI units
- Enhanced the map display to show animated weather maps, if available
- Expanded conversion to SI units to include all quantities, not just temperature.
- When running the plug-in, additions or deletions from the list of area codes are now permanently saved in the GBPVR config.xml file.
- Bug fix: Forecast could in some cases display the right city name but the wrong data; this has been fixed
- Included latest version of CommonGBPVRUtilities.dll
- Fixed a bug in the auto update code.
- Auto update now updates all areas, not just the selected area
- Modified the plug-in to enable the buttons to be displayed in any order in the skin file, not just the default layout. The up and down arrows now move to the next highest or lowest button based on the buttons Y axis position.
- Added missing files for common dialogs to the automated installation program
- Added a zip file installer for those who want more manual control over the installation process
- Added NavigationArrows element to the skin file to display a hint for how to navigate through the list of cities if there are multiple entries. Note that the skin.xml skin file has been updated as part of this.
- Added a button to add a new area code to the list. Any changes made to the list only apply to the current session and will not be in the list when GBPVR is restarted. The layout of this screen is specified in the weather codes skin.xml file.
- Added a button to remove the current area code from the list. Any changes made to the list only apply to the current session.
- Download of map is now independent of download of forecast. One can fail and the other will work; display of forecast will happen as soon as forecast information is available
- Added a few new weather codes to the list of know types so that fewer weather conditions will display as ï¿½Unknownï¿½
- The current conditions will now display ï¿½Unknownï¿½ for pressure, humidity and UV index rather than blanks if no information for these fields is returned from msnbc.com.
- When using multiple area codes, the left and right arrow keys will now wrap around to the beginning/end of the list
- Control R (the red key) will re-download the forecast. Note that a download in progress dialog will not display while this is going on. Instead, the old forecast will be shown up until the point that the new data is available.
- Fixed bug that did not update extended forecast display when using multiple cities.
- Fixed bug that pulled the task image from the wrong folder.
- Rewrote the skinning code to enable everything to be moved. Everything is now based on composite images. Additionally, none of the font names are hard coded in the plug-in any more so you can add, remove, or change fonts as you wish.
- Moved the configuration settings to the PluginSettings area of the config.xml file so that they will be retained across upgrades of GBPVR.
- The plug-in will now copy and use the skin file from the blue skin directory if a skin can not be found in the current skin directory.
- Added the option to display weather information on the Video Archiver panel. If selected, the forecast for the current day and the next day will be displayed.
- Note that the plug-in now requires that CommonGBPVRUtiltiies.dll be in the main GBPVR directory.
2004-12-22 (Reven) - v2.21 Updated to make it more skinnable
2004-09-24 - v2.05 Initial version